Ocean Color Forum - Not logged in
Announcement: SeaDAS 4.8 Update 4 now available!
Dear SeaDAS Users,
SeaDAS 4.8 Update 4 is now available on our ftp site. This update provides:
- New processing binaries
- New Aqua LUT's
- Redesigned msl12 GUI interface
- New MODIS L1A subscening program (1km bands only)
- Various other functionality enhancements
Details on these changes are described below.
There is an INSTRUCTIONS file located in the update04 directory on
our ftp site that will tell you how to apply this update. It is
also here for your convenience:
Instructions for installing SeaDAS 4.8 Update 4
This update provides the newest MODIS Aqua calibration LUT's.
Note that you must run seadas_setup after installing this update,
prior to running seadas, so that the LUT environment variables
will be set correctly.
NOTE: If you have not installed SeaDAS 4.8 yet, you do not need to
install this update after installing the main software, since this
update is included in the main tar file distributions.
1. Go to your main $SEADAS directory:
2. Anonymously ftp to samoa.gsfc.nasa.gov:
3. After logged in, switch to binary mode:
4. Change directory to where the update files are located:
5. Get the zipped tar file for the update that corresponds to
your operating system:
get update04_rh73.tar.gz (for RedHat 7.3)
get update04_fc1.tar.gz (for Fedora Core 1)
get update04_fc2.tar.gz (for Fedora Core 2)
get update04_mac.tar.gz (for Mac OS-10.3)
get update04_sol28.tar.gz (for Solaris 2.8 64-bit)
get update04_sol27.tar.gz (for Solaris 2.7 64-bit)
get update04_irix.tar.gz (for Irix 6.5 32-bit)
6. Log off of ftp
7. Unzip and extract the update files:
gunzip -c update04_rh73.tar.gz | tar xvf -
8. Change to the update04 directory:
9. Make sure that your $SEADAS environment variable is set correctly:
setenv SEADAS /wherever/your/seadas4.8/is/located (for c shell)
or export SEADAS=/wherever/your/seadas4.8/is/located (for bash shell)
10. Run the update_04.csh script to install the files:
11. Run the seadas_setup script:
12. Enjoy and let us know if you have any problems.
The SeaDAS Development Group (email@example.com)
Some details concerning changes included in this Update:
1. Updated processing/utility binaries:
2. New Aqua LUT's (V126.96.36.199d)
3. We have implemented a major redesign of the SeaDAS msl12 GUI.
It is now in a tabbed format to present a smaller footprint
on your display.
4. A major change in this update is the new MODIS L1A 1km extraction
tool. (Work is currently in progress to support HKM/QKM extractions.)
Given two latitude/longitude corners of a geographic box, the new
MODIS L1A extractor will extract data within the box, creating a
subscened L1A file and an optional corresponding GEO file. The new
L1A/GEO subscene can then be processed to an L1B file in the usual
way. Unlike the L1A file, the resulting subscened L1B file will be
padded to contain the full original swath width, with pixels falling
outside the extraction box being set to arbitrary meaningless values
depending on the band. L1B subscene files can then be processed to
Level 2 using msl12, which will detect the original subscene box and
only process data contained within this box. SeaDAS is capable of
displaying and navigating L1A, L1B, L2, and L3 subscenes. One thing
to be aware of is that when you process a subscene to level 2 with
the msl12 program, you should probably use a control_pt_incr value
of 1, instead of the default value of 8, or else your navigation
will not be as accurate. Our plan is to modify the software to
automatically detect a subscene and set the control_pt_incr value
in a future update.
5. Various other changes:
A. The msl12 program is now capable of processing a subset of a
full MODIS file by specifying lat/lon corners.
B. We have also moved some buttons around on a number of GUI
screens. Help and Exit buttons have been moved to the right
on most screens to reflect standard GUI practices.