Not logged inOcean Color Forum
Forum Ocean Color Home Help Search Login
Up Topic Products and Algorithms / Satellite Data Products & Algorithms / Total Radiance and Rayleigh radiance calculation (locked)
- By simonarthi Date 2011-12-26 00:55 Edited 2011-12-26 08:25
Hi everyone,

I want to separate Total radiance and Rayleigh radiance from L1A image in idl...Please give some suggession to get these radiance OUTSIDE SEADAS...I have seen l2gen codes...i dont see the calculation...

I cant process this image inside seadas...Because it is in Pxl format...

So i want to know the calculation to separate Total radiance and Rayleigh radiance....

Please help me to get this....

Regards

M SHURESH
- By sean Date 2011-12-29 09:53
Shuresh,

While the calculation of the Rayleigh scattering component of the TOA signal can be
computed with a high degree of accuracy (given certain assumptions), it can be a bit
computationally expensive.  The l2gen code uses Look Up Tables (LUTs) to derive
the Rayleigh radiance for a given sensor bandpass, viewing geometry and windspeed.
The basis for the development of these LUTs can be found in a couple papers by
Gordon et al:
Howard R. Gordon, James W. Brown, and Robert H. Evans, "Exact Rayleigh scattering calculations for use with the Nimbus-7 Coastal Zone Color Scanner," Appl. Opt. 27, 862-871 (1988)
Howard R. Gordon and Menghua Wang, "Surface-roughness considerations for atmospheric correction of ocean color sensors. I: The Rayleigh-scattering component," Appl. Opt. 31, 4247-4260 (1992)

Regards,
Sean
Up Topic Products and Algorithms / Satellite Data Products & Algorithms / Total Radiance and Rayleigh radiance calculation (locked)

Responsible NASA Official: Gene C. Feldman
Curator: OceanColor Webmaster
Authorized by: Gene C. Feldman
Updated: 03 July 2013
Privacy Policy and Important Notices NASA logo